Sunday 18 January 2009

Starting to model

Today I've tried massing out the basic size and shape of the robots body and head. The chavant clay I am modelling with the NSP grade, which is sulphur free. This minimises the risk of it reacting with the silicone rubber I intend to use for my moulds. The clay is medium firmness, I've found however it is far too firm to sculpt effectively with it at room temperature.

TIP: Warm chavant clay up in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften it and make it more pliable. It can if left in the microwave for too long start to liquify!

Since heating it up I've found it much easier to work in this material. I heat it to quite a soft state so it's almost like normal clay, however within a short amount of time it will cool back to its original firmness. I was originally going to use sculpey to model the character, however I haven't worked in this material before, so I decided to give it a shot and I am finding it very versatile at the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment