Sunday, 3 May 2009


All together now!

In order to make the base look a bit more relevant to the robot and less dull I have created railings lining some of the outside and sculpted a lampost from milliput, which the robot will be positioned under. There are just a few more details to add, such as the aerial at the top of the robot's head and the paint for the railings and lampost.


In order to rust the robot, once I had connected it all together I lay it for several days in a solution of bleach, water and salt. This gave it a light rust all over, which I have then sanded back in places to reveal the metal underneath. I now plan to use watered down black paint to darken the grooves of the robot and make it look more old and weathered.

Completing the wheelchair

The work completed on the wheelchair since my last post has been attaching the wheels and finishing the painting. I painted the wheels to look like darkened brass, matching some of the wheelchair. Given that the character is for stop motion animation I have made them in a way to allow the wheels to move.

Base problems

I had planned to crete the base of my character by painting in the different colour sections of the pattern and using pencils to darken areas and draw in cracks. I wanted to use pencil rather than paint to shade areas as I thought it might echo the sketched look of the game. However I was not happy with the result of the base, which I thought looked too flat and didn't match the rest of the work I had done on the charater.

To improve the base I decided to add texture to it by smothering it in a thin layer of polyfiller and sanding it back slightly. This gave me a natural looking stone effect and I sculpted in some of the cracks and crevasses where the different tiles met. I also decided to make the stone colour more rich and yellow, whilst toning down the turquoise colour. I think these changes make the base a lot more effective.